Reflecting upon what is nearest and dearest to my heart in our home education journey, remembering the most memorable learning periods in our older childrens' lives, I knew it was time to return to our roots, it was time to create plenty of 'wiggle room' to be able to undertake doing what we love best, immersing ourselves in literature. And so our plan to make this a time of 'Leaping into Literature' was born.
We are blessed to have many, many books of quality literature with beautiful illustrations in our home, this term we will build our whole plan around that. The plan is simplicity within a loose framework.
- Every day the children will continue with their individual maths programs, and I'm planning to add maths literature and activities for the younger four.
- Every day they will read about their Faith, to this end I have updated our liturgical year resources and their faith readings will revolve around the liturgical year.
- Every day they will read and respond via writing (or other expression), I have compiled various suggestions into one document, these suggestions will be cut into strips and placed in a narration jar, the children can select a suggestion or create their own narration idea .
- Their reading selections have been grouped into categories and we will spend a week/fortnight delving deep in each area. Picture books for the younger three, chapter books for the older three. I'm certain at least a couple of the 'older set' will read both.
- Einstein's (16) plans won't completely mirror our plans, he will diverge some weeks to study British Literature including Shakespeare.
As always I remain flexible, if the children wish to diverge down a path that captures their interest, a path I hadn't planned for that week/fortnight, I'm fine with that, providing they are still within the framework above, all is good. From hard won experience I know I need to have an outline of a plan for each week, so I'm currently compiling lists/piles of books from our shelves for our various ages. For the first time in a long time I'm truly excited about planning and beginning a new term, I'm quite hopeful this plan will engage the children and see the return of the enthusiasm of all.
Planning to record and share our journey of 'Leaping into Literature' with you as we journey along, hoping our love of literature will kindle or re-ignite within you a similar love.